Shoemakers Cottage is a beautiful, restored shoemakers workshop and residence in lovely Ballyholme. The original workshop is now the large kitchen/dining area with 3 bedrooms (2 bright spacious doubles, 1 twin, sleeps 6), cosy lounge with open fire, spacious, secure garden, off-street parking and unlimited, FREE broadband.
Ideal for families or couples it has shops, restaurants and beach on its doorstep and is 15 minutes walk to Bangor town centre, Ballyholme Yacht Club, Aurora Aquatic Centre, Bangor Golf Club and Pickie Fun Park. The cottage makes an ideal base for visiting friends, touring and exploring the rest of Ireland.
The Story of Shoemakers Cottage
A piece or parcel of building ground was purchased on the 19th of February 1923 by Frederick John Brice (Property Broker), James Finlay Brice (Coal Merchant) and Lester Irving (Building Contractor) all of Bangor in the County of Down in the Barony of Lower Ards. The land was situated in the town land of Ballyholme in the Town of Bangor.
The land was sold to Jacob O’Neill (Hackney Motor Car Proprietor) and Hugh Kyle (Druggist) in 1923, both of Bangor in the County of Down. Jacob and Hugh built Shoemakers Cottage, originally as a small residential cottage on a strip of this land facing Waverley Drive. It was sold to Edith Dent, widow from Shandon Drive, Bangor on 28th of November 1923.
Edith assigned the property to her son Albert Dent (Shoemaker) and his wife Catherine Gault Dent on 10th of January 1928. It appears that Edith never lived in the property but was involved in its construction, bought it and then assigned it to her son and daughter-in-law. Albert set up and continued to run his boot and shoe repairs shop from the premises in the wooden rooms until February 1959 when he sold the house to Ida Love, spinster of Mullagh, Dungannon in the County of Tyrone. The cottage was extended by Ida Love to include a new bathroom and kitchen. There are now two old kitchens, the middle bedroom and the utility room. The kitchen was moved to the workrooms in 2011 and a major refurbishment completed in 2014.
The original shoemakers sign – 'A Dent-Boot and Shoe Repairers' and a few shoe lasts where found during renovation and are now displayed. The laneway which runs beside the house is called Shoemakers Lane.
We hope you enjoy your stay